- Does the lawyer focus specifically on family law? Divorce involves the most important parts of your life: your children, your home, and your finances. Choose an attorney who’s experienced these types of cases.
- Who will be handling your case? Sometimes, an attorney will delegate a case (or parts of a case) to a paralegal or associate. Ask to meet these individuals to be sure that you’re comfortable with the arrangement.
- Is the lawyer attentive and on task? An attorney should listen to the details of your case and be prepared to guide you through the divorce process.
- Is the attorney willing to negotiate a settlement? Divorce shouldn’t be all about who wins and who loses, but about reaching a fair settlement.
- Is the lawyer a good communicator? Look for someone who takes the time to educate you about the divorce process and is willing to answer your questions.
- Is the lawyer a person of good character? An attorney should be respectful, compassionate, and honest not detached, rude, or make any unrealistic promises.
Choosing an attorney is the first and most important part of your Virginia divorce case. Be sure to do your homework and go with an attorney you feel comfortable with.
Contacting a Virginia Divorce Attorney
There are very specific rules governing divorce in Virginia. At Hofheimer Family Law Firm we are committed to providing you with the experience and compassion you deserve and the successful results you need to move on with your life. Request a FREE copy of our divorce guide for women in Virginia, or reserve your seat at our monthly divorce seminar – 757-425-5200.