Can I claim child support payments on my tax return?

Unlike spousal support, child support payments may not be claimed on your income tax return. While you cannot claim these payments, you can claim your child as a dependant if you pay more than 50% of your child’s living expenses. By claiming your child as a dependant, you can save money on your taxes.

If you feel that you pay more than half of your child’s costs, you should speak to an experienced Virginia child support attorney. Your attorney can help work out an arrangement with you and your ex-spouse so you both don’t claim your child on your tax refund, thus leading to an IRS audit.

Noncustodial parents who feel as though they pay most of the child-related costs and wish to claim children as a dependant on their tax forms must have permission from the custodial parent. A Virginia Beach divorce lawyer can assist you in obtaining the necessary IRS forms and asking your ex-spouse to sign them.

Divorce, child support, and child custody matters can be very complex. If you are currently going through the divorce process, you need a skilled Virginia Beach divorce lawyer on your side in order to ensure that the needs of you and your children are met.

At Hofheimer Family Law Firm, we understand that the health and happiness of your children is your #1 concern. We will work with you to address any fears and anxieties you may have about your children’s future. Our women’s-only divorce attorneys will guide you every step of the way to advocate that you achieve the best possible child custody and child support arrangements for you and your children.

To learn more about your Virginia divorce, request a FREE copy of our guide, What Every Virginia Woman Should Know About Divorce, or reserve your seat at our monthly divorce seminar – 757-425-5200.