My ex-husband left Virginia and I’m concerned about whether I’ll be able to get him to pay child support. What should I do?

If your ex-husband has left Virginia and you are concerned that he will stop paying child support, you can still collect child support through the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act.

In order to collect the amount that your ex-husband owes in Virginia child support, you will need to file a complaint through the Virginia Division of Child Support Enforcement and Juvenile Court in the city in which you reside.

After you file the necessary paperwork, Virginia will send your complaint to the state in which your ex-husband now lives (referred to as the "responding state"). If you know your ex-husband's new address, the responding state will send him a child custody hearing notice. If he comes to the hearing, a new child support order will be issued.

If you do not know your ex-husband's new address, the responding state will have to track him down. If this is the case, it may be worth having an experienced Virginia Beach divorce lawyer on your side. Your lawyer may help you file the necessary paperwork and even help you track down your ex-husband's new address so your Virginia child custody hearing notice can be sent.

The responding state may issue a child custody order that is less than the order that was issued in Virginia; however, should your ex-husband return to Virginia, he is liable for the original amount.

If you are owed Virginia child custody, it is important to speak with a skilled Virginia Beach divorce lawyer. At Hofheimer Family Law Firm, we understand that the health and happiness of your children is your #1 concern. We will work with you to address any fears and anxieties you may have about your children's future. Our women's-only divorce attorneys will guide you every step of the way to advocate that you achieve the best possible child custody and child support arrangements for you and your children.

To learn more about your Virginia divorce, request a FREE copy of our guide, What Every Virginia Woman Should Know About Divorce, or reserve your seat at our monthly divorce seminar – 757-425-5200.