Getting your Finances in Order When Getting Divorced in Virginia
When you’re getting divorced in Virginia, your financial affairs will need to be sorted out. Your Hampton divorce lawyer will counsel you about your specific case, but there are some tips to remember when considering money matters during and after your divorce.
- Have good legal and financial help on your side. Finances can be complicated when you’re getting divorced in Virginia, and you don’t want to overlook any important details that can benefit you.
- The divorce process calls for a great deal of paperwork, like bank statements, mortgage papers, and insurance policies. The more documentation you have for the things you and your spouse own and share, the easier it will be to divide your assets.
- If you have children, securing their needs is top priority. Your Hampton divorce lawyer will help you with obtaining child support for your ex, and spousal support as well, if applicable.
- Be realistic and logical when deciding whether you want to keep the marital home. While being awarded the house has its benefits, the upkeep of a home can be very costly.
- Be sure to establish your own bank account as well as a credit card in your own name.
With the help of your Hampton divorce lawyer, you can be prepared for the financial aspects of the divorce process and for your new independent life following divorce.
Contacting a Hampton Divorce Lawyer
There are very specific rules governing getting divorced in Virginia. At Hofheimer Family Law Firm we are committed to providing you with the experience and compassion you deserve and the successful results you need to move on with your life. Request a FREE copy of our divorce guide for women in Virginia, or reserve your seat at our monthly divorce seminar – 757-425-5200.