Divorce that involves child custody issues in Virginia can be particularly challenging. As such, it’s important to know the ways that you can end up hurting your chances of a favorable decision in a child custody hearing in the state.
Listed below are some things to be mindful of when dealing with a Virginia child custody case:
- Courts will consider the amount of time you spend with your child. Make sure that you are actively involved in your child’s life.
- If you are seeking custody of your child, do not leave your home or leave your child during the course of the divorce.
- Keep the situation with your children positive. No matter what is going on between you and your husband, never talk negatively about him to your children.
- Do not keep your children from seeing their father. Be sure that you have proof if you think your husband is an unfit parent.
- If you have met someone new, keep that person out of the picture. You don’t need to add any further complications to the situation. This also means you shouldn’t be living with that person, as that can affect the outcome of your custody case.
- If you and your husband have come up with a schedule with your children, be sure to stick to it.
- Determine that you will provide your children with a loving, stable environment no matter how messy things get between you and your husband.
By following these guidelines, you avoid hurting your chances of a favorable decision for child custody in Virginia.
To learn more about child custody hearings in Virginia, visit our library.
There are very specific rules governing divorce and child custody in Virginia. Learn about your legal options by contacting the Virginia divorce attorneys at Hofheimer Family Law Firm. We handle divorce cases for women only, and are committed to providing the experience and compassion that you deserve and the successful results you need. Contact us today to schedule a legal consultation – (757) 425-5200.