Can I collect interest on back child support payments that were late?

Posted on Jul 30, 2010 by Katie Carter

The state of Virginia takes non-payment of child support very seriously and has many legal mechanisms in place to make sure that non-custodial parents obligated to pay child support in Virginia do so according to the court’s orders.

Some women have to deal with an ex-spouse’s lateness or failure to pay on a regular basis. It’s a frustrating experience to say the least, and can anger even the most patient woman.

After all, the court ordered the Virginia child support payments because you need the income to help provide for the care, comfort and health of the children you share with your spouse.

You most likely want to do whatever you can to recover the Virginia child support payments that are owed you so you can get on with your life.

The state of Virginia does not allow you to collect interest on late child support payments you have already accepted
. The good news is that you can collect interest on back child support your ex-husband still owes you.

Like many states, Virginia imposes an interest on child support. Child support, like any debt that needs to be paid, is subject to interest if the payer becomes delinquent with his payments.

You will need to speak with your Virginia child support attorney or your local agency that handles child support matters. They will advise on the steps you need to take to pursue your ex-spouse for the back child support.

A Virginia court will see to it that you receive the child support that is owed you, with the addition of the appropriate interest. The current interest rate for back child support in the state of Virginia is 9%.

There are very specific rules governing divorce and child custody in Virginia. At Hofheimer Family Law Firm we are committed to providing you with the experience and compassion you deserve and the successful results you need to move on with your life. Request a FREE copy of our guide, What Every Virginia Woman Should Know About Divorce, or reserve your seat at our monthly divorce seminar – 757-703-1386.