Relocating a Child from Virginia After a Divorce

Posted on Apr 9, 2010 by Hofheimer Family Law

Relocating out of state and modifying a Virginia child custody agreement is a relatively easy procedure if both parents agree that the child relocation is acceptable. It is even easier if the parents agree on any additional modifications in visitation or child support beforehand.

However, if one parent disagrees to the move, the parents will probably end up in court

Child Relocation from Virginia

We live in a mobile society, and it’s not unusual for a parent to find employment in another state, or be presented with a situation in which an out-of-state move is beneficial to staying put.

Virginia looks at the child’s best interest in child relocation cases
. If one of the parents wants to take a child and move out of state and the other parent disagrees, the parent who wants to leave has to prove to the court that it is in the child’s best interest to go.

Modifying a Virginia Child Custody Agreement

The parent who wishes to take the child and move out of state must notify the other parent, in writing, at least 30 days before leaving
. This letter should include information such as the parent and child’s proposed future address.

Receiving the letter probably won’t be a surprise to the parent in question. What inroads the parents have made in coming to an agreement is the real problem. You need an experienced Virginia child custody attorney to protect your rights and the rights of your child when modifying a Virginia child custody agreement.

There is more information about child relocation at our article library.

At Hofheimer Family Law Firm, we understand that the health and happiness of your child is your #1 concern and we will work with you to address any fears and anxieties that you may have about your child’s future. Our women’s divorce attorneys will work with you every step of the way to ensure that you achieve the best possible child custody and child support arrangements for you and your children. Contact us today to schedule a legal consultation – (757) 425-5200.