When the Courts Re-Review Your Virginia Child Custody Order

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 by Hofheimer Family Law

When you’re getting a divorce in Virginia, custody will naturally be one of your biggest concerns. If you’re not comfortable with the court’s Virginia child custody order because circumstances have changed, you can file a petition and have the courts re-review your case.

To begin with, you should know that if you want to change the custody arrangement, you’ll have the burden of proving to the courts that there’s a significant reason it should be altered. Considering the complexity of proving that there is a significant reason your custody arrangement should be altered, you should talk the matter over with your Virginia child custody lawyer to discuss your petition and best present your case.

When you decide to seek a custody change, the general chain of events includes:

  • consulting with your attorney;
  • gathering all necessarily paperwork;
  • filing your petition; and
  • waiting for the court’s ruling.

Remember, after getting a divorce, the Virginia court that made the original custody order retains jurisdiction over your case, and you’ll need to provide them with compelling reasons the order should be altered, such as drug abuse or physical abuse.

Before you petition the courts, make sure to run your situation by your attorney to make sure your case is substantial and thoroughly prepared, and to ask specific questions about your parenting plan or custody agreement.

Contacting a Virginia Child Custody Lawyer

Throughout your child custody proceedings, you’ll naturally have a lot of questions specific to your circumstances. Get your questions answered by requesting one of our FREE divorce guides for women, or reserving your seat at our monthly divorce seminar – 757-425-5200.

A Virginia child custody lawyer at Hofheimer Family Law Firm will be committed to fighting for your rights, assisting in child custody disputes, and advocating that you receive everything you are entitled to and need in order to start your new life.