When Your Military Husband is Behind on Virginia Child Support

Posted on Jun 27, 2011 by Hofheimer Family Law

Virginia military divorce has its own unique set of rules and regulations that can make it seem more complicated than civilian divorce.

If your ex-spouse is in the military and he’s behind on his child support payments, there’s a specific procedure you need to go through to collect what’s owed to you.

First, you will need to fill out a document called an “Income Withholding Order.” On this form, you will need to put all your ex’s personal information such as name, address, Social Security number and employment information. You need this form in order to collect back child support from your ex after a military divorce. Your divorce decree alone is not sufficient.

The form needs to be sent to the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) Cleveland Garnishment Operation. You can send the order by fax or paper mail. Once the DFAS has received the form, they will begin the process of helping you collect Virginia child support after your Virginia military divorce.

The amount of Virginia child support you can expect to receive after your military divorce depends on what amount is in your divorce decree or separation agreement. It’s possible to collect an arrearage of child support (back child support), but your withholding order needs to include directions regarding this.

The U.S armed forces takes child support orders very seriously and the military structure will help you to collect child support that’s due you after your military divorce.

Contacting a Family Law Divorce Lawyer in Virginia

The decision to file for divorce usually comes at the end of a long and painful journey. In addition to the emotional turmoil involved, there’s also a lot of fear and uncertainty about what the future holds. Concerns about children, mortgages, and even just paying the bills or buying groceries can easily become overwhelming.

A Virginia divorce attorney at Hofheimer Family Law Firm can examine the specifics of your case to help you decide how much support to ask for, what child custody arrangement will work best for you and your children, and how to fairly divide your marital assets. Request a FREE copy of our divorce book for women in Virginia, or reserve your seat at our monthly divorce seminar – 757-425-5200.