Divorce in Virginia can turn your world upside down. While ending your marriage won't be easy, you may find the experience more tolerable by preparing for it with a Virginia divorce attorney.
4 Steps in Preparation Toward Divorce in Virginia
To best prepare yourself for the upcoming life changes, check to make sure you:
- Know what you own….and what you owe. Make a list of all your assets and gather the necessary documents such as paperwork for your mortgage, insurance, and taxes. Get a credit report to find out what you owe, both jointly and separately.
- Make an effort to establish your own credit to be ready for life on your own. You and your husband probably have joint credit cards and bank accounts you'll need to untangle during your divorce in Virginia.
- Surround yourself with friends. Preparing for divorce isn't all about financial paperwork; there's a lot of emotional work to do when you're facing divorce in Virginia. Many women define themselves based on their role in the home, and the prospect of being single again can be daunting. Be sure you have a strong support system of friends and/or a professional counselor to comfort you.
- Be ready for a fight. This doesn't mean being angry and bitter; it simply means that you should be ready to stand up for what you need in your divorce in Virginia. It's best to have an experienced Virginia divorce attorney on your side to help make sure that you're being treated fairly.
- Our Virginia divorce attorneys care about your rights, the welfare and happiness of your children, and your financial security. Let us use our unique experience to help you focus on your goals for the future and your family. To learn more about Virginia divorce, request a FREE copy of our divorce book for women in Virginia, or reserve your seat at our monthly divorce seminar – 757-425-5200.
Contacting a Virginia Divorce Attorney