Getting Rid of Your Ex’s Last Name after a Divorce in Virginia

Posted on Aug 1, 2011 by Hofheimer Family Law

After a divorce in Virginia, you may want to remove your ex-husband’s last name from your own. This practice is common, and while you may be hesitant to do so, there are a number of reasons to make the final transition towards your new life. A Virginia Beach divorce attorney may be able to further guide you through the processes after your divorce.

Steps to Change Your Name after Divorce in Virginia

The first thing you should do in order to affect your legal name change following a divorce is determine to what you will change your name. It’s common to take back your maiden name, in which case, you should notify your Virginia Beach divorce attorney so that he or she can indicate both names on your official divorce decree.

Once you’ve obtained your decree, you must notify the Social Security Administration to get a new Social Security card.
You’ll be required to supply your divorce decree, a proof of identity, and separate proof of U.S. citizenship.

After you receive your new Social Security card, the next step is to notify the Department of Motor Vehicles. You’ll need your Social Security card, your divorce decree, and your driver’s license.

After these steps, the remaining notifications are significantly simpler, notify your:

  • bank;
  • employers;
  • any mortgage or car lenders;
  • insurance providers;
  • credit cards;
  • investment accounts; and
  • doctors.

Contacting a Virginia Beach Divorce Attorney

Our Virginia Beach divorce attorney team cares about your rights, the welfare and happiness of your children, and your financial security. Let us use our unique experience to help you focus on your goals for the future and your family. To learn more about a divorce in Virginia, request a FREE copy of our divorce book for women in Virginia, or reserve your seat at our monthly divorce seminar – 757-425-5200.