Child Support Payments Affected by the Economy

Posted on Feb 17, 2010 by Hofheimer Family Law

Because of the recession, there has been an increase in the number of parents who are unable to make their child support payments because they have lost their jobs. In fact, the State of Tennessee reports that it has collected less in child support payments than last year; the first decline in child support payments in more than a decade.

Across the nation, other states are noticing the effect the poor economy is having on child support. In New York, the Family Court has been overwhelmed by child support modification requests by mothers and fathers who have recently been laid off. In Milwaukee, there was a 20% increase in the number of custodial parents who filed for child support enforcement.

There are several reasons why parents can no longer afford to support their children as they have in the past; layoffs, cutbacks in hours, loss of stocks and home foreclosures can result in the noncustodial parent being desperate for cash. Some custodial parents must apply for welfare in order to support their children.

Unfortunately, some noncustodial parents simply quit paying child support after a job loss. If the parent does not contact their state’s child support enforcement agency to modify the payments, he or she can be penalized. In some states, the noncustodial parent can be charged with contempt of court each time he or she misses a payment and may even be thrown in jail.

Learn more about how Virginia child support payments are calculated by visiting our library.

If you have questions about Virginia child support, it is important to speak with an experienced divorce attorney. We understand that the health and happiness of your child is your #1 concern and we will work with you to address any fears and anxieties that you may have about your child’s future. Our women’s divorce attorneys will work with you every step of the way to ensure that you achieve the best possible child custody and child support arrangements for you and your children. Contact us today to schedule a legal consultation – (757) 425-5200.