Dealing with a “Deadbeat Dad” After a Virginia Divorce

Posted on Aug 27, 2010 by Hofheimer Family Law

If a noncustodial parent was ordered to make Virginia child support payments and refused to do so, he may be labeled a “deadbeat dad.” This differs from a parent who is unable to make payments because of job loss or illness; a deadbeat dad has the money to make Virginia child support payments but fails to make them. If a parent does not have the money to make child support payments, he can ask for a modification of the child support order.

If a deadbeat dad fails to make payments, he faces consequences for violating Virginia child support orders such as:

  • Driver’s license suspension;
  • Garnished wages; and
  • Jail time.

In some cases, the state can also refuse the deadbeat dad’s passport application or intercept unemployment benefits.

If your ex-husband has not been making payments, you can contact the Virginia Child Support Enforcement Office in order to get back child support.
You should provide the office with your ex-husband’s address as well as information regarding the missed payments.

Please note that even if your ex-husband fails to make child support payments, he still has the right to visitation if it has been ordered by the court. Child support and visitation are two separate matters. Refusing to allow your children to visit their dad can affect them emotionally and make you look bad to the court.

Learn more about the repercussions for not making child support payments by visiting our article library.

If you are dealing with a deadbeat dad, you need experienced legal representation. At Hofheimer Family Law Firm, we understand that the health and happiness of your children is your #1 concern. We will work with you to address any fears and anxieties you may have about your children’s future. Our women’s-only divorce attorneys will guide you every step of the way to advocate that you achieve the best possible child custody and child support arrangements for you and your children.

To learn more about your Virginia divorce, request a FREE copy of our guide, What Every Virginia Woman Should Know About Divorce, or reserve your seat at our monthly divorce seminar – 757-425-5200.